The Not-for-Profit Stewardship Group was established in November 2013 by the ATO to 'consider matters of strategic importance to not-for-profit clients [of the ATO". It is one of eight stewardship groups run by the ATO. The NFPSG is chaired by the ATO Chair (Rod Walker) and has a membership comprised of representatives from
- Catholic Services Australia
- Arts Law Centre
- ACPNS, QUT
- Herbert Smith Freehills
- Jobs Australia
- Justice Connect
- Philanthropy Australia
- Prolegis Lawyers
- Salvation Army
- Tax Institute
The focus areas of the Group are
- advocating law change in relation to the special conditions in Division 50-50 of the ITAA 1997
- working closely with the ATO to deliver an ‘in Australia’ draft ruling
- improving the NFP experience with the ABR
- helping the ATO to better understand the diversity of the NFP sector so that it can deliver improved and tailored services and products for the NFP community
- developing effective NFP compliance and NFP engagement strategies to help build confidence, fairness and integrity in the NFP sector.
Minutes of their meetings can be read here.
To learn more about what they do (and don't do), go here.